|Approach: Leverage other successful wiki approaches (e.g., Wikipedia) and discussion group techniques to fuse data and information for purposes of populating FluWikie pages. The various discussion forum threads would be the place to discuss new information that might become incorporated into the expanding FluWiki pages. News and blog have their own domains, though can still be tagged for future searches. Diaries can still have a place.
Volunteers would be sought to help with collaboration in each of the subject areas, more for moderation and facilitation than determination of content (in other words, they help guide knowledge capture, rather than dictate content).
Information presented would preferably be supported by reference (i.e., research study/paper, publication, primary source, secondary source, reliable website, etc) in order to help other information providers understand the source and authenticity of the provided information. Some information may be provided as personal experience. Knowledge captured on Wiki pages will be footnotes with these references to give readers the same under understanding of the information source and authenticity.
Care needs to be taken to avoid copyright violations, though government published information is considered public domain for these purpose.
Some pride of authorship is to be expected with new information providers, though understanding the goal of achieving the highest attainment of knowledge in each subject area is a common goal, rather than the recognition or pre-eminence of personal authorship.
Disputes may arise concerning content. If the Subject Area Volunteer cannot resolve it directly, a consensus by the input of two other volunteers who review the dispute will achieve resolution. Often the best approach is to put in competing theories/approaches with explanations and sources to let the readers decide for themselves.
Always, Always be cordial to others and respect their input, as we are all humans with narrow experience bases who can learn from others.
- Identify and establish the subject area hierarchy (which will morph over time).
- Seek volunteers to lead collaborative efforts in these subject areas or portions thereof.
- Arrange discussion forum and Wiki pages around subject areas.
- Establish Wiki page templates to provide a common ‘look and feel’ to the wiki pages.
- Begin the process of acquiring information through;
- Discovery of new information sources
- ‘Mining’ of earlier discussion exchanges and wiki pages
- Discuss acquired information on discussion forum
- Add information to Wiki pages
- Continue information acquisition by returning to step 5
See general wiki examples (ours will be more focused), such as Botany and The Hindenburg (browse for other interesting articles).
Any and all comments expressly encouraged.