|Well I took my lead from that show on TV about the x/con who breaks into peoples homes/ business's and steals all the valuables that are inside.
1) I took a long hard look at the outside of the house and made some changes to the landscape. No plants next to the house. Keep them all well away from the side.
2) Reviewed the door locks and had a lock smith give me some ideas on better locking devices such as a locking bar for the front door. That instead of a short chain that is no good at all.
3) Reviewed the security of the windows and replaced all downstairs windows with a brand that has metal bars built into them. Upstairs replaced the locks with upgraded ones from a lock smith.
4) Replaced back door from 1/2 glass to a full metal door. You cannot brake into it now!
5) Removed items that can assist someone in breaking into the house i.e. rocks, wood, bricks etc.
Spent about $1200.00 to upgrade security.
The show helped me alot by opening my eyes.
Now if and when BF hits we will keep a low profile in the heighborhood and keep our one car in the garage with the door closed. We have no small kids. So no worries there. I have a large enclosed back yard with various projects to keep us busy during the year.
What ideas do you have so far? Always looking for new ones